Map Filter:

Dry Ice for CO2 Augmentation

posted by williewortel_old at about 1 year ago

Square_missing
    Rank6

I picked up a 10 lb block of dry ice on a whim and am letting it sublime in my grow room. It cost $1.09 lb.

Square_missing
    Rank6

One cubic foot of CO2 weighs around 0.1125 pounds. So my 9 lb block evaporated into around 80 cubic feet in less than 8 hours. So the grow room was full of CO2 at high concentration. Very hot, humid heavy air, and probably not enough oxygen to support animal life in a confined space. The plants visibly grew in the 2 days I kept the CO2 in by keeping the door closed.

Dry ice seems dirt cheap at $1.09 a pound. Compare that to any CO2 source on the market. A bucket and system of chemicals sells for $135. For that amount, I can buy 123+ pounds of dry ice. But instead of 9 lbs at once, next time I will hang the block in front of a fan for one hour. Then put it back in the freezer. Repeat daily.

In reply to williewortel_old
    Square_missing
    Rank6

In case anyone wants to try this, I want to make it clear that I used way too much CO2 in that first attempt. I probably got over 50% CO2 atmosphere. The desired target 1500 ppm - parts per million. or 0.15%.

So you would want to use less than I did.

Square_944589f44e6d659dfb387eb3
    Rank6

I always thought co2 was the best way for co2 augmentation, cheap and easy to use. but about the amount you want, is it really only 0.15% co2 atmosphere you aim for?

Square_missing
    Rank6

Christopher wrote:
    I always thought co2 was the best way for co2 augmentation, cheap and easy to use. but about the amount you want, is it really only 0.15% co2 atmosphere you aim for?

Uh, yeah, and water is the best source of water, and I prefer to breathe air for air augmentation.

I am assuming you mean CO2 gas in a cylinder, right? That is levels of Carbon Dioxide in your growing area from 0 to 5000 ppm (Parts-Per-Million). Using the PPM-3 is quite simple. Just plug your CO2 device (CO2 valve or generator) into the "piggyback" cord and it will automatically maintain the CO2 level that you specify. The PPM-3 works with any make of CO2 valve or generator that is 120 volt."

I didn't do well in chemistry, but I thought air was around 70% nitrogen, 10% Oxygen, and, 20% CO2. So, for facts: 'Wikipedia ' = " Dry air contains roughly (by volume) 78.09% nitrogen, 20.95% oxygen, 0.93% argon, 0.039% carbon dioxide, and small amounts of other gases. "

Therefore, that "target 1500 ppm - parts per million. or 0.15" would be FOUR times as much CO2 as air. Sounds reasonable. And, Dry Ice (you did know that is 100% Carbon Dioxide in its solid state, right?) will supply plenty, extremely cheaply. In reply to williewortel_old
    Rank6

at first, I had no idea what you meant with the use water for water line.. then I lol'd when I saw my mistake. I meant SOLID co2 <!-- s:P --><!-- s:P --> dry ice of course
    as for the ppm, I thought co2 was around 5-10% in air, that's why I was so confused with the .15%, but seeing how wrong I was that does make sense. are there any cheaper tools to measure the atmospheric content while the co2 vaporizes? I wonder if it is harmful to have too much co2, or if that just ends up being waste?

Square_missing
    Rank6

There is waste, but at a meaningless cost amount, given the low cost of C02 solid.

As to possible harmful effects, I certainly used way too much for two days, on my four current plants, all in advanced budding: Blue Dream, Orient Express, Purple Diesel, and Plat. OG Kush. All had a visible growth spurt.

Right after that, the OE slowly died, but it had fully flowered including some seeds, as I deliberately pollinated the first appearing flowers with a male I grow from seed and flowered at that instant (and was then removed); and this strain is known for that - being fast and smallish. I tried it and like it a lot, clear active high. I believe that plant completed its grow cycle and shut down. The PD is doing the same a week later. The others continue actively growing and the POGK got so heavy it bent over, and I propped it backup (it feels very heavy) and it is still growing. I do not believe there was any adverse effect due to the CO2 saturation.

This grow went super fast. I was planning 4 more weeks or so. But this went from tiny cloneville.com" target="_blank">cloneville.com clone to done in 6 weeks. I used some changes from my previous grow:
    1. 16-18 hours light daily, once flowering went full swing.
    2. Mylar lined walls - the POGK was expanding toward the Mylar, digging the reflection when it bent over.
    3. Soil mixed with 1/3 Grodan rockwool mini-cubes.
    4. Fertilizer in water several times daily, into the pot AND topping off the trays.
    5. Same size pots but now in 2" drip trays with sponge wicks stuck through the pot holes into the soil-rockwool mix.
    6. CO2 during the past week.

3, 4, and 5 were in response to soil drying out during the day, and elevated grow room temps of 100 degrees in my previous grow. The combined effects of the counter-measures solved both the dry soil and heat problems, resulting in speed and bud production that have been spectacular! There are a few pictures on my profile, all pre-CO2.

Rank6

Argh I can't wait to try out dry ice...

Square_missing
    Rank6

I bought another chunk and gave it one hour in front of the fan this morning. I think there may have been some harm to my two plants that died due to extreme CO2 saturation. So I am going to take it easy this time. I also have a replacement Sour Diesel plant started in a full hydro pot in bucket. It is growing an inch a day, 9" now, under HPS 3' away.

Rank6

What alternatives are you going to try with the dry ice? less time? somehow slow the melting? idk..

Square_missing
    Rank6

I put it in front of a fan for an hour. Then I put the block in back in my freezer.
    One hour may be too long, as it got very hot in there today.

Square_missing
    Rank

Ive used dry ice before with execptional results. I went through a 5lbs block per week during the final 4 weeks. Definitely worthwhile!

Rank6

So it seems CO2 augmentation, in general, is best used to boost the later weeks of flowering?

Square_missing
    Rank6

Square_4207201997c07ca5c0a0b30e
    Rank3

Does anyone have any hard evidence for using dry ice vs CO2 generators vs all the other shit out there these days. For example, overall yield for each of these methods?? Never really cared cared about experimenting myself with these methods as I've had success already with what I do, so I've never had a complete control crop vs experimental crop where CO2 addition methods were the only real variable. Just wondering: )

Square_36b851d7d769075242bba1c3
    Rank1

This is what i have going on in my room. I took a regular styrofoam cooler that you can buy at any grocery store, then i went to and bought 25 foot of 1/4 inch tubing and silacone. Once i got home i took my cooler and poked several holes into it. ( I poke 6 into mine) I figured one hole per plant. Then i took my 1/4 tubing and silaconed and sealed it to the cooler. Once the silacone was dried i hung the cooler in a dark corner of my grow room and ran the tubing to stakes that i had in inserted into each on of my plants. The cO2 can evaporate insided the cooler and is dispersed through the tuber right on top of my plants. It take about 12 hrs for a 5 lb block of dry ice completely evaporate.

Not a fancy set up, but it seems to do the trick. Right now it is just in trial stages but if it works out i might work on building something better.

Square_47f1d0f73b9153072524cbf7
    Rank1

i only recently heard about this idea and i am super excited about it.. im sold on dry ice and plan to use it as soon as the babies grow up...