Last updated January 30, 2023
a) (i) Weedmaps’ websites, portals, applications (including mobile applications), channels, software, and widgets (including as embedded on sites owned by third parties), and (ii) Weedmaps’ social media pages and channels (collectively, the “Websites”); and
b) any services, features, media, functions, content, tools, and links contained in or offered via the Websites (collectively, the “Services”).
2. Information We Collect
We may collect certain types of information in order to better provide our Websites and Services:
- Information You Provide: We collect information you provide us, such as:
- Account Information: If you create an account on any of our Websites or Services (a “User Account”), you may submit personal information such as your full name, e-mail address, home address, phone number, zip or postal code, gender, a profile bio, and birth date. Some users may also submit their (i) means of age verification (e.g., driver’s license), or (ii) medical marijuana recommendation, including their recommending doctor’s name and license number, contact information, verification methodology, and verification number (“Medical Marijuana Information”).
- Public Content: The information that you contribute or post on our Websites or Services (“Public Content”) is intended for public consumption, including your reviews, tips, photos, videos, check-ins, comments, likes, favorites, posts, events, bookmarks, friends, lists, compliments, and User Account name and profile photo.
- Transactional Information - Orders: If you initiate a transaction through any of our Websites or Services, with a participating vendor (“Retailer”), you may submit to us personal information such as your name, date of birth, telephone number, delivery address, e-mail address, and identification cards. Some users may also submit Medical Marijuana Information for orders placed through any of our Websites or Services. This can include order history. Additionally, some users may submit photographs of themselves or signatures in order to process an order. If you initiate a transaction directly with Weedmaps, including but not limited to via store.weedmaps.com, you may submit to us additional personal information such as your billing address and shipping address.
- Transactional Information - Other Requests: From time to time, we may make available certain promotional campaigns or request your participation in surveys or advocacy efforts and require participants to provide certain personal information, such as your full name, phone number, mailing address, e-mail address, and professional information.
- Employee/Agent Information: If you are an employee or agent of a Retailer, you may submit to us personal information such as your name, vehicle information including transportation method, make, model, color, and license plate number.
- Information Created When You Use Our Websites and Services:
- Transactional Information: If you initiate a transaction through any of our Websites or Services, in addition to the information you provide us directly, we also automatically collect certain information, such as the date and time the transaction was initiated or the transaction status changes.
- Location Information: We collect information about your precise or approximate geographic location with your consent, such as when you press a “Locate Me” button or when you act as a driver for a Retailer. We may collect this information from your mobile device if you have enabled such functionality. Some of our Services, such as our WM Driver app, will not work without permission to track the user’s location and driving behavior. We may also collect your approximate location or IP address from your browser using cookies or other web technologies and infer your location from other information we have collected.
- Other Browsing and Device Information: We automatically collect information about you when you use the Websites and Services. In addition to transactional and location information described above, the information we automatically collect includes log data and device information including browser type, domain name, the website that led you to our Websites, the website to which you go after leaving our Websites, the dates and times you access our Websites, device ID, and browsing activities within our Websites or Services (e.g., links you click, searches you run, the date and time of your visit or order, the amount of time you spend on specific pages, the businesses you call, e-mail, or chat using our Websites or Services, including our mobile applications, and the orders and purchases you make through our Websites or Services). We may collect certain information with the help of cookies and other web technologies--please see our Cookies and Other Web Technologies section below for more information.
- Communications: From time to time, you may contact Weedmaps customer support or otherwise contact us; or exchange messages with other Weedmaps users, Retailers or other brands listed on our Websites. Messages that you exchange through our Websites or Services are saved. If you send or receive messages through our Websites or Services via SMS text message, in addition to saving the messages, we may log phone numbers, phone carriers, and the date and time that the messages were processed. We may also store the information that you provide when you communicate with us, including phone calls, letters, e-mails, and other electronic messages, or in person.
- Information Collected from Other Sources:
- Retailers: Retailers may provide us with information about you – either directly or indirectly through their service providers. For example, Retailers may obtain additional personal information from you in the course of fulfilling an order placed via any of our Websites or Services and share this information directly with Weedmaps. Retailers may store this personal information about you using a point-of-sale service provider, which provides point-of-sale services to enable Retailers to process and fulfill transactions, manage inventory, maintain records, and report transactions in compliance with applicable law. Retailers may direct their point-of-sale service provider to share such personal information with us in order to ensure our and our service provider’s records regarding your order are consistent so we can efficiently and effectively facilitate your order fulfillment. Similarly, Retailers may use loyalty program service providers to reward you for purchases you make with the Retailer from time to time. Retailers may share the personal information they have collected relating to their loyalty program with Weedmaps, either directly or through such Retailer’s loyalty program service provider, in order to enable you to use the rewards you have collected in the past and apply them to an order placed via any of our Websites or Services.
- Third Party Service Providers: Some of our third-party service providers will collect information from you directly and share some of that information with us. For example, if you place an order for Weedmaps apparel using a credit card, Shopify will provide us with payment-related details such as the type of credit card you used and name on your card. Other third-party service providers will collect information about you via cookies or other web technologies and share that information with us. For more information about the information third parties collect via cookies and other web technologies, see Cookies and Other Web Technologies section below for more information.
- Other Third Party Sources: If you create a User Account using a third-party log-in service (such as Facebook, Google or Apple), the provider of the third-party log-in service will share personal information about you such as your name and email address to enable us to create an User Account for you. Other third parties that use our Services on a paid or free basis may let us collect information about your use of their websites or share such information with us. For example, if you use a Weedmaps embedded brand or dispensary map tool, WM Orders widget, or other Service on a third-party website, we may receive information about your use of that tool, widget or other Service. Additionally, we may acquire information about you from third party sources and combine it with information in our possession. As an additional example, if you’re a Canadian user, you may be given the ability to use a third-party payment processor in order to directly pay a retailer listed on the Website. In such an instance, the third-party payment processor may provide us with certain payment-related details, including the type of payment card used, the name on your card, the last four digits of your card, and the postal code associated with your card.
3. How We Use Your Information
We may use your information to:
- Process your request for Services, products, or information;
- Provide you with customer support;
- Provide you with personalized offers;
- Promote the Websites and Services;
- Improve, upgrade, and enhance our Websites and Services;
- Analyze system administration, debug and identify repairs, and back up our systems to allow for disaster recovery;
- Detect security incidents and protect, investigate, prevent, and potentially take action against possible deceptive, fraudulent, unauthorized, malicious or illegal activities;
- Carry out any specific purposes for which we have obtained your consent;
- Engage in other legitimate business activities as permitted by law.
6. Managing And Deleting Your Information
* If you are a resident of California, please see our Your California Rights; Privacy Notice For California Residents section below.
Your Right To Access and Manage Your Information
You have the right to access, review, correct, or update the information you provide to us as part of your registration for a User Account with our Websites or Services.
You can exercise this right and manage your own information by updating your User Account directly or by submitting a data request to us pursuant to our Data Requests section below. You are responsible for the information you provide to us, and you should maintain the accuracy of the personal information in your User Account so that we can best provide products and services to you.
You may also be able to disallow our use of certain location data through your device or browser settings, for example, by disabling “Location Services” for the Weedmaps application in iOS privacy settings. Please note, however, that disabling Location Services may adversely impact your experience with the functionality of our Websites or Services, and enabling such services may be necessary in some cases to allow certain transactions.
Your Right To Delete Your Information
You have the right to delete certain personal information you provide to us as part of your registration for a User Account with our Websites or Services, or that you otherwise submit to us, for example, through our Websites or Services. Keep in mind, we may need this information to provide account management and access, and if you choose to delete information, you may not be able to take advantage of certain features of our Websites and Services. Should you choose to delete information, you can exercise this right by submitting a data request to us pursuant to our Data Requests section below. We will never discriminate against you should you choose to exercise these rights.
You also cannot delete information associated with past orders and purchases because we, and third-party businesses listed on our Websites or Services, may be required to maintain records of orders and purchases for a specified period pursuant to applicable federal, provincial, state, or local law. Also, any public postings or other communications you have made on our Websites or Services, such as in forums or blogs, generally cannot be removed, so please be mindful of the information you include there.
If your personal information has been submitted to us by a third-party business using our Websites or Services as Customer Data and you wish to exercise your rights to access, revise, or delete such data, please inquire with the relevant third-party business and submit a data request to us pursuant to our Data Requests section below.
Please note that we take your privacy seriously and therefore take steps to safeguard your personal information, including ensuring an adequate level of data protection in accordance with international standards.
If you are not satisfied with how we have stored or processed your personal information, please contact us pursuant to our Contact Information section below.
If you would like to access, revise, or delete any personal information, please submit a written data request by contacting us pursuant to our Contact Information section below.
We will take such steps as we deem necessary to verify your identity before proceeding with your data request. For example, we may ask you for a piece of information held in your records that you might reasonably be expected to know. We cannot disclose personal information pursuant to a data request to anyone other than the individual in question.
Once any queries around the information requested have been resolved, copies of the information will be sent to you electronically wherever possible or, if this is not technically possibly, by mail.
If you submit multiple data requests and these data requests are excessive or manifestly unfounded, we will charge $20.00 to cover the administrative costs involved in dealing with each data request. In extreme circumstances, we reserve the right to refuse your data requests if they are excessive or manifestly unfounded.
We will attempt to respond to proper and confirmed data requests within thirty (30) days, or as otherwise required by applicable law. If you are not satisfied with the way your data request was handled, you may refer your data request to your state (if in the US) or country’s data protection authority. In the European Economic Area (EEA), any such request should be directed to the appropriate Data Protection Authority in the EU Member States and in Iceland, Liechtenstein, and Norway.
Your Right To Cancel Or Modify Marketing Communications
You have the right to cancel or modify the e-mail marketing communications you receive from us. You can exercise this right by following the instructions contained within our promotional e-mails or, in some cases, by logging into your User Account and changing your communication preferences. Please note that this will not affect subsequent or different subscriptions--if your opt-out preferences are limited to certain types of e-mails, the opt-out will be so limited.
While you can manage some of your e-mail preferences, please note that you cannot opt out of receiving certain administrative, transactional, or legal messages from Weedmaps which we may send in the course of legitimate business if you are signed up for a User Account and/or use certain features. However, such announcements can be terminated by asking us to close your User Account.
7. Your California Rights; Privacy Notice For California Residents
Information We Collect About Our California Consumers
Personal information covered under this CA Privacy Notice does not include aggregated information or other information that cannot reasonably be linked to you. In the past twelve months, regardless of whether you have a User Account or were logged in to any such account, we may have collected the following California Consumer Privacy Act (“CCPA”) categories of personal information about you, which we use and share as described in the following chart:
|Categories of Personal Information We May Have Collected:||Examples of How We Use this Personal Information Include:||The Persons We May Share this Personal Information with Include:|
Identifiers, such as your name, signature, phone number, and email address, and identifiers tied to the specific technology you’re using to access the Weedmaps products
Demographic information, such as your gender
Biometric information, such as selfies in connection with WM Orders
Medical information, such as your medical cannabis recommendation data
Commercial Information, such as records of products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, or other purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies
Internet or other network activity information, such as information regarding your interactions with content (what you click, how much time you spend viewing it, the way you interact with ads and more)
Geolocation data and other location-related information, such as the location of your device
Audio, visual, or similar information, such selfies you upload in connection with placing an order or audio or visual recordings of user testing sessions
Professional-, employment-, and education-related information, such as job title and degree information you provide in response to a survey
Financial information, such as your income level, if you choose to provide it
Inferences based on the foregoing categories, which may include your preferences and interests, such as inferring that you like flower when you frequently search for flower products
Providing, personalizing (including through our business partners and other clients), and improving the Weedmaps products
Communicating with you
Performing data analysis, market research, and research and development
Complying with legal obligations, protecting the Weedmaps Products; and defending our legal rights
Our service providers
Our business partners, such as Retailers, brands, partners who use our analytics or data services, researchers and academics
Service providers of our business partners, such as point-of-sale systems serving Retailer clients
New owners if ownership or control of all or part of the Weedmaps products or their assets changes
Law enforcement or other third parties in connection with legal requests
Other third parties to whom you consent sharing your info, such as services that integrate with our services
Your Rights As A California Consumer
As a California Consumer, you have certain rights regarding your personal information. You have the right to request from us the following information: (1) the specific pieces of personal information we have collected about you; (2) the categories of personal information we have collected about you; (3) the categories of sources from which your personal information is collected; (4) the categories of personal information we sold or disclosed for a business purpose; (5) the categories of third parties to whom your personal information was sold or disclosed for a business purpose; and (6) the business or commercial purpose for collecting or selling your personal information.
You also have the right to correct your personal information or request that we delete any of your personal information that we collected from you and retained, subject to certain exceptions. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request, we will delete (and direct our service providers to delete) your personal information from our records, unless an exception applies. To the extent that we use information defined as sensitive personal information, Weedmaps limits our use of such information only to that which is necessary for providing our Websites and Services.
How To Exercise Your Rights Under California Law
To exercise any of the rights described above, please submit a verifiable request by contacting us pursuant to our Contact Information section below. Please note that Weedmaps must verify the identity of the requestor. You may designate an authorized agent to make a request on your behalf by providing proof of a valid power of attorney, your valid government issued identification, and the authorized agent’s valid government issued identification. Upon receiving your request, we will send you a follow-up email asking you to provide and certify information necessary to verify your identity. We cannot respond to requests where the identity and authority of the requestor cannot be confirmed.
You are not required to have a User Account with us in order to submit a request and we will only use personal information provided in a request to verify the requestor’s identity or authority to make such a request. Please note you may only make a verifiable request for access or data portability twice within a 12-month period.
Any disclosures we provide will only cover the 12-month period preceding the verifiable request’s receipt. If we are unable to comply with a request, we will inform you of the reason why.
Personal Information Sold Or Shared
We do not “sell” the personal information we collect in the traditional sense, and we will not do so without providing you the opportunity to opt out.
However, California law defines “sale” broadly in such a way that the term sale may include sharing personal information for the purpose of displaying advertising that is selected based on information we have obtained or inferred over time based on an individual’s activities across businesses or distinctly-branded websites, applications, or other services (“targeted advertising” or “cross-context behavioral advertising”). Like most online publishers, we use these information and inferences to enable us to provide the Websites and Services, to offer personalized features, for tracking and analytics, and to show relevant offers to you directly on our own Websites and across the web, including at your request.
California Consumers who choose to exercise the rights described in this section will not be denied any goods or services, charged different prices or rates, or be provided a different level or quality of goods or services unless those differences are related to your personal information.
Shine the Light Disclosure
California law allows you to request and obtain from us once a year, free of charge, a list of the third parties to whom we have disclosed your personal information (if any) for their direct marketing purposes in the prior calendar year, as well as the types of personal information disclosed to those third parties. Weedmaps does not share personal information with third parties for their own direct marketing purposes without your prior consent. You can also prevent disclosure of your personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes by withholding consent.
8. Children Using The Websites Or Services
Our Websites and Services are intended for adults only and require that users be no less than eighteen (18) years of age. Please note that certain of our Websites and Services require you to be at least twenty-one (21) years of age to access and use such Websites and Services. Please check the applicable terms and conditions for such Websites and Services for further information. Individuals under the age of eighteen (18) (or twenty-one (21) for applicable Websites and Services) are prohibited from creating a User Account and profile, accessing our Websites or Services, and/or ordering products on our Websites or Services. If you become aware that an underage user has created a User Account using false, stolen, or otherwise misleading information, please contact us immediately pursuant to our Contact Information section below.
We have implemented a number of measures to help protect your personal information. These measures include, but are not limited to, minimizing access to personal information to employees with a need to access it, and encrypting personal information provided through our Websites using SSL/TLS. Please note, however, that while we endeavor to keep our security measures up-to-date, no data security measures can guarantee complete security.
In addition, there are steps you can take to help protect your information, including choosing a robust password for your device and/or User Account that nobody else knows or can easily guess, and keeping your log-in and password private.
Weedmaps is not responsible for the actions or activities of unauthorized third parties who compromise our security measures, and so we cannot be responsible for such unauthorized party’s access, acquisition, or distribution of your personal information. If you believe your personal information has been compromised, we encourage you to notify us immediately pursuant to our Contact Information section below.
Please note that we retain some personal information about you in accordance with our record retention policies, as required by law, or as required for the achievement of the purposes of the processing as mentioned above (e.g., to enforce any agreements or provide a product/service).
It is important for you to protect against unauthorized access to your User Account, password, and computer. Be sure to sign off of your User Account when finished, especially if you are using a shared computer. You can learn more about steps you can take to protect your personal information at: https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0272-how-keep-your-personal-information-secure.
10. International Data Transfer
We share information globally, both internally within Weedmaps and externally with our partners around the world. If you are located outside of the United States, please be aware that information we collect, including your personal information, may be transferred to, and processed, stored, and used within the United States. This transfer is necessary to provide our Websites and Services.
11. Contact Information
For other customer service inquiries, please contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at the phone number above.