Map Filter:

High Pressure Sodium light in Vegetative Stage

posted by dookie at about 1 year ago

Square_ea8aa4afa168a7197cd54d2a
    Rank3

Can one have a High Pressure Sodium light for the vegetative stage? Or is more of a blue light preferred/necessary?

Also, are High Pressure Sodium lights UV?

Square_ea8aa4afa168a7197cd54d2a
    Rank3

the dude at my local hydroponic told me my grow will suffice with just an HPS. Is this true?

also, are the UV ray on a HPS strong? Can prolonged exposure cause skin cancer?

In reply to dookie
    Square_ac6df9a497c09da65fed7c05
    Rank6

Protect your eyes, your grow environment should be BRIGHT when the lights are on.

In reply to dookie
    Square_missing
    Rank6

I am using 2 400 watt switchable units that came with 2 bulbs for each HPS and MH.
    My current grow is X number of plants already flowering as clones, and Y number of plants not yet flowering. I am using one bulb of each HPS for the flowering plants and MHS for the smaller ones which I want to veg more. The HPS have a dramatic effect on the budding. I am not in a hurry with the slower sativa's.

So, there is a difference. I think you are better off with some florescents until your plants get to the height you want for flowering. Or, get a switchable light.

In reply to dookie
    Square_missing
    Rank

Square_missing
    Rank1

MH bulb ( Metal Halide) are rich in blues for strictly veg stage BUT HPS (High Pressured Sodium) Is a very efficient for flower but i use a 1000 watt light over one 3x3 ebb and flow and get great yields. But i would use MH for flower.

In reply to dookie
    Square_47f1d0f73b9153072524cbf7
    Rank1

it seems like a HPS would work better in the veg cycle for someone who is attempting a SCROG grow. i would think more spindly stems would be easer to train.. what do you think?

In reply to dookie
    Square_missing
    Rank1

a all blue led grow light do it better than HPS in the veg cycle <!-- s:D --><!-- s:D -->

In reply to dookie
    Square_cannabis-cures-cancer
    Rank6

freemannn wrote:
    a all blue led grow light do it better than HPS in the veg cycle <!-- s:D --><!-- s:D -->

First off LED sucks and hps is only good for flower.Get metal halide for vegg! In reply to dookie
    Square_imag7361
    Rank

HPS work fine for veg. The problem of stretching can be fixed by adjusting intensity of light with an adjustable ballast, bending the branches, topping, or raising the light and this often only happens with sativas as Indicas don't really stretch. The whole blue end of the spectrum is ideal for veg which is found in greater intensity with MH bulbs and cool compact fluorescent bulbs, but I use HPS for VEG on a 90 plant bucket, ebb and flow CAP hydro system right after I take them out of their cloning dome from under the flourescent and they are only 4-5" tall and they veg until they are roughly 18" before I start them on 12/12. They rarely stretch for me and I am doing 50% sativa dominant and 50% indica dominant strains so there is an even mix. LED's Suck balls and should never be used for any reason as I have never yet seen a nice nug done under them.

In reply to dookie
    Rank6

LexBub79 wrote:
    HPS work fine for veg. The problem of stretching can be fixed by adjusting intensity of light with an adjustable ballast, bending the branches, topping, or raising the light and this often only happens with sativas as Indicas don't really stretch. The whole blue end of the spectrum is ideal for veg which is found in greater intensity with MH bulbs and cool compact fluorescent bulbs, but I use HPS for VEG on a 90 plant bucket, ebb and flow CAP hydro system right after I take them out of their cloning dome from under the flourescent and they are only 4-5" tall and they veg until they are roughly 18" before I start them on 12/12. They rarely stretch for me and I am doing 50% sativa dominant and 50% indica dominant strains so there is an even mix. LED's Suck balls and should never be used for any reason as I have never yet seen a nice nug done under them.

In indoor grows like you own,space is valueble,MH should be used <!-- s:shock: --><!-- s:shock: --> .It gives you a more full compact plant with NO stretch!So if I had to choose between little or no stretch I know what I would use if available to me..Bending 60 plants(thats alot of wasted room).Even sativas grow fuller and can hold heavier flowers under MH.You look like a serious grower from your description,have you use MH side by side with hps?The contrast is vast! In reply to dookie
    Square_imag7361
    Rank

med420 wrote:
    Quote: LexBub79":eq983vsd

I have used them side by side with (2) 400 watt MH bulbs supplementing a 600 Watt HPS in the center of a large tray before and have used the Hortilux Blue MH bulbs many times on their own. I do like MH, don't get me wrong, but the original question on the post was can one have a HPS bulb for veg and I was just answering that question, and even added in that MH bulbs are preferred. I do have to say that my crystals look bigger and the nugs seems to fill out better for me under HPS every time better than MH thru an entire cycle. If possible I would use them side by side or even use one of those combo bulbs where they have a 600 HPS and 400 MH in a single 1000W bulb (Sunmaster I think?) But in my system I use those 600 W HPS all the way through and they work great!!!! 1.2 G per watt last harvest with no CO2 and done in 56-60 days and that was weighed before and after curing cause it flew outta here before I right when it dried with people not wanting to wait for the cure which can take up to 3-4 weeks sometimes for my personal.Strains= Super Silver Haze, Super Lemon, Various Kushes, Gods Gift, Strawberry Haze, Jilly Bean, Super Skunk
    In reply to dookie
    Rank6

LexBub79 wrote:

Adjusting light intensity can NOT adjust spectrum.Hps runs a heavy RED while MH runs a heavy BLUE spectrum.Heavy BLUE IS NEEDED IN VEG!OTHERWISE STRETCHING OCCURS WASTING VAUBLE SPACE!!!!!!Use MH in veg or both MH&HPS.These are NATURES RULESfor best results. In reply to dookie
    Square_4dad57da512200a7692dd468
    Rank5

If you have a 400w older style magnetic ballast....look into a phillip's retro white ceramic metal halide... it has a better red end than most HPS bulbs and a better blue end than most MH bulbs, plus it is full spectrum so you get it all in one, for around 60$.

In reply to dookie