What is an apple pipe?
An apple pipe — sometimes called an apple bong — is a homemade pipe constructed from an apple that is used to smoke cannabis. Apple pipes are considered one of the healthier options for DIY smoking devices, especially when compared to constructing pipes of tin foil or soda cans. Discreet and inexpensive, the apple pipe is a favorite among cannabis consumers who have no papers or glass pipes on hand, want to easily dispose of consumption evidence, or don't want to go through the hassle of cleaning a traditional device. Read on to learn how to make your own apple pipe.
How do you make an apple pipe?
Crafting an apple pipe may seem complex, but in just a few simple steps you will soon be smoking cannabis out of your own healthy fruit.
Here's what you'll need to make and use a classic apple pipe:
- an apple
- a toothpick
- a clean screwdriver or chopstick
- a lighter
1. Remove the apple stem, making sure to remove the entire stem down to its base. This divot in the apple will serve as your bowl.
2. Use your screwdriver or chopstick to poke a hole across the center of the apple. One hole will function as the base for your mouthpiece while the other will function as the carb.
3. Use your toothpick to poke a few holes in the top of the apple far enough to intersect with the hole you just made through the center of the apple. This will allow air to flow from the bowl to the mouthpiece without letting flower fall through.
4. Do a test run and inhale through the hole you've chosen to be your mouthpiece to ensure air can flow through properly.
5. Pack the top of the apple with weed.
6. Place your mouth on the hole you've chosen to be your mouthpiece and cover the other hole with your free hand as you light the weed in the bowl.
7. Inhale and enjoy.
Why should I make an apple pipe?
Apple pipes are well-known for their discretion and easy disposal characteristics. Apples are also incredibly inexpensive and make for a good substitute when rolling papers or a personal pipe aren't available or accessible. Cannabis consumers also don't lose THC resin to glass in the same way as a traditional pipe, so you get more THC bang for your buck and don't have to deal with the hassle of cleaning your pipe after use. Finally, you theoretically could eat the apple once you're done smoking — though we wouldn't recommend it.