Is weed legal in the Netherlands?
Not exactly. Marijuana in the Netherlands is illegal for adult-use unless it is purchased and consumed in a coffee shop (social consumption lounge). Medical cannabis is available only in Dutch pharmacies. Although Dutch marijuana concentrates can be found to purchase, they are considered hard drugs and are illegal according to Netherlands weed laws and Amsterdam weed laws.
Cannabis products must be tested for cannabinoids, heavy metals, pesticides, terpenes and microbiological.
Qualifying conditions and patient rights
- Pain and muscle spasms or cramps associated with multiple sclerosis or spinal cord damage
- Nausea, loss of appetite, weight loss and debilitation due to cancer or AIDS
- Nausea and vomiting associated with chemotherapy or radiotherapy used in the treatment of cancer, hepatitis C or HIV infection and AIDS
- Chronic pain (mainly pain associated with the nervous system, for example that caused by a damaged nerve, phantom pain, facial neuralgia or chronic pain which remains after the recovery from shingles)
- Gilles de la Tourette syndrome
- Therapy-resistant glaucoma
- Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis, epilepsy, itching, migraine, rheumatism, rheumatoid arthritis, ADD and brain trauma