If you want to experience the possible therapeutic effects of CBD but don't find the texture of oil very palatable, then you might like to try making gummies. CBD gummies are chewy edibles that can deliver the benefits of CBD in a bite-sized candy. In this beginner's guide to making CBD gummies, you'll learn how to make, customize, and store these tasty edibles.
Benefits of making your own CBD gummies
CBD gummies offer the same possible benefits of CBD oil, such as:
Promoting calm: CBD products may help people who are battling insomnia or simply need to unwind after a stressful day. In fact, a 2015 study published in the journal Neurotherapeutics found that CBD may be an effective treatment for anxiety disorders.
Pain relief: Some studies have shown that CBD oil relieves muscle and joint pain when applied topically, but orally ingesting CBD gummies may deliver similar benefits. A 2018 literature review published in the journal Frontiers in Pharmacology stated that CBD and cannabis may offer moderate relief for individuals with chronic pain. The authors of the review concluded that, “Cannabinoids and cannabis are old drugs but now they are a promising new therapeutic strategy for pain treatment.”
Non-intoxicating: Unlike the cannabis strains that you smoke, CBD oils, tinctures, and edibles contain only trace amounts of THC (generally under 1%) which means they won't give you an intoxicating high.
This array of potential benefits gets a little sweeter when you add CBD gummies into the mix.
What you need to make CBD gummies
To make CBD gummies, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 three-ounce packet of gelatin dessert
- 1 tablespoon of unflavored gelatin
- ½ cup hot water
- ½ ounce of CBD tincture or less, depending on your tolerance and preferences
In addition to these ingredients, you'll also need the following supplies:
- Mixing bowl
- Gummy molds
- Cooking spray
- Small turkey baster or dropper
Making CBD gummies: step-by-step instructions
The process of making CBD gummies should take less than two hours and provide you with dozens of gummies depending on the size of your silicone molds. To make CBD gummies:
- Set the molds on a baking sheet or cutting board. This will allow you to move them into the refrigerator later without spilling any of the CBD gummy mixture.
- Spray the molds with cooking spray so the gummies will be easy to remove after setting.
- Dump the packet of gelatin dessert and the extra tablespoon of gelatin into a bowl.
- Add half a cup of hot — not boiling — water.
- Stir vigorously until completely dissolved.
- Pour in your preferred amount of CBD tincture and blend thoroughly. How much CBD oil or tincture you add will depend on the potency of the oil or tincture and your dosing preferences, but you should avoid adding more than 1/2 ounce for texture and flavor purposes.
- Dispense the mixture into each mold using your dropper or a spoon, filling them to the top.
- Refrigerate the molds and allow them to set — approximately an hour.
Customizing CBD gummies
If you want to customize your CBD gummies with a flavor twist, Weedmaps' senior content manager Lesley Nickus offers these expert tips: “The two most popular infusions people use to make gummies are alcohol-based tinctures and infused coconut oil. The same dosing instructions for all edibles apply to gummies. You can also use pureed fruit to flavor your gummies.”
Apples, pears, and bananas are three of the easiest fruits to puree if you want to try this variation. If using coconut oil, look for the terms “cold-pressed” and “extra virgin” on the label, both of which are indicators of quality. Choosing organic coconut oil and fruit is also advisable.
Storage tips for CBD gummies
While you can store CBD gummies in a cool, dark cabinet, the refrigerator is the best place for them. When stored properly in an airtight container in the fridge, it's quite possible for gummies to stay fresh for six months or longer. Always keep the gummies away from direct heat and sunlight which degrade the cannabinoids and strip the confections of any therapeutic potency.
A good rule of thumb is to start slow when dosing your CBD gummies and remember that you can always tweak a second batch to be more potent if desired. Experiment with different flavor combinations and have fun getting your daily dose of CBD in a sweet treat.