Map Filter:

What is Kush?

posted by ElmerW.Fudd at about 1 year ago

Square_378a7754d349718f0d9d9106
    Rank5

I enjoyed the "What is OG?" thread sooo much, I thought we could use a concise definition of Kush.

I have one guiding principle - be entertaining! If you are not, :laugh: I might locate an obscure Sanskrit text involving a Siberian Asteroid crater, Pygmy's and Hippo dung, Aborigines and Koalas, or Weed and Primates, wait, I did that one already. :laugh:

Rank5

This is an entry in a Strains Lineage document

Strain name (breeder/seed-seller) Source

Hindu Kush (Sensi) Landraces; India, Hindu Kush Mountains

This tells me Kush is a marketing term used for a cultivated variety of cannabis indica originally collected in the Hindu Kush Mountains (Landraces means it grows wild)

Sensi Seeds sells Hindu Kush (33 Euros), Master Kush (21 Euros), Afghan Kush (23 Euros) seeds. These are 100% indicas.

Therefore, my conclusion is that Kush is a marketing term synonymous with cannabis indica

In reply to ElmerW.Fudd
    Square_c3c343eaaaa68fda857de77c
    Rank6

Rank6

haha nm u were only half rite haha sorry fudd :huh:

In reply to ElmerW.Fudd
    Rank5

I have not heard a competing definition.

Could be this, could be that, but sort of . . .

You wont get that published on urbandictionary.com

Lets look at it a different way: Does every bud sold in dispensaries which is "called" Kush, really a Kush? How can you prove it one way or another?

I am beginning to lean toward pygmy's in the jungle collecting hippo dung and raising Kush for the export market.

In reply to ElmerW.Fudd
    Rank5

"Going to a site that sells seeds is a very poor way to do research, of course you'll think it's just a marketing term.

"Kushes" come from the Hindu Kush, a mountain range that stretches from afghanistan to india (saying Hindu Kush Mountains is like saying Death Valley Valley). They are indicas, yes, but saying Kush is synonymous with cannabis indica is like saying a rectangle is a square; Kushes are often indicas but indicas are certainly not all Kushes.

Not to mention many Kushes are wholly Sativa dominant, OG kush is barely a kush at all and is heavily hybridized."

Let's look at the holes in your verbiage:
    1. What exactly is your authoritative research source?
    2. I, personally, did not say "Hindu Kush Mountains". That is a properly labeled exact paste from Sensi Seeds. They capitalized the "M" when they shouldn't have. So, report them to the Grammar policia.
    3. Actually a Square is a Rectangle; and a Rectangle can be a Square. A Square is also equal to a pair of Triangles. Do you know what kind of Triangles those always are?
    4. Synonyms are different words with identical or very similar meanings. Key word there is OR. I believe the fact that we are talking about Kush defined as landraces from the Hindu Kush (you have not contradicted me on that), and there were no wild sativas growing there, too, then all Kushes are indicas. Now if you bred indica Kush with anything else, you now have half Kush and half something else. But you no longer have Kush in a pure botanical sense. I never said all indicas are Kushes.
    5. A "Sativa Dominant Kush" is an oxymoron, as we have established that Kush came fron the Hindu Kush landraces and is therefore, indica. Lets assume you meant SDK 51% sativa. You have a sativa Kush hybrid. But of course, you really meant an SDK Kush in the marketing sense, right? Crossout one of the K's if that helps you. But then anyone can call anything a Kush and you can't prove them wrong, because even a SDK can be a Kush by your definition. If anything, an SDK is NOT a Kush. It is a mostly sativa-something cross. But you need a marketing term to sell it.

So your notion of a definition is "landrace cannabis indica (a square) from the Hindu Kush, except when it is a hybrid with something else (a rectangle?)". To call that non-pure hybrid-Kush, a Kush, is then marketing term. Which is where I started.

Next: OG Kush!

In reply to ElmerW.Fudd
    Rank6

its all herb ta me haha u crazy kids and ur genetics haha. so if u guyz r so knowledgable can u tell me if its true that kush has a body high because it was grown for thousands of years with opium poppies or is it just cause its an indica

In reply to ElmerW.Fudd
    Square_dab
    Rank3

Square_missing
    Rank3

The region in Pakistan called The Hindu Kush is an area that has been fought over for centuries, the Muslims from Pakistan and Afganistan and the Hindus from India have disputed this region for hundreds of years, and still do today. The term Hindu Kush actually means "Kill Hindu" or "Death to Hindu", so the word Kush means kill or death.

In reply to ElmerW.Fudd
    Square_d6421a6a7b85602ac3aa126f
    Rank6

It means different things to different people.. To a lot of people, mainly in LA, Kush may be slang for any high grade cannabis. They know a lot about different OG Kush, Bubba Kush, etc, but a lot of people call anything good Kush (I'm not sure but that's how it seemed.) However, the true origin is the Kush mountains.

All major variation in cannabis genetics was mostly caused by climate and geography of cannabis around the world. Varieties from the Kush mountains were supposedly taken and distributed to other places in the world, (which has been happening with most every "landbreed" since the beginning of man most likely) and since then has been mixed with other strains and hybrids, and any off shoot from that genetic origin is labeled a kush or if named differently can still be considered from kush genetics, sometimes named OG, sometimes OG is just applied to peoples own strains when they are new and uncrossed sometimes? Kush takes on many new meanings in its interchangeability for "good". Kush is now kinda pop culture. It's roots are in it being a harsh region that produces tough potent cannabis plants. There are probably multiple climates and landbreeds from the kush mountains, only a few were brought here originally though, they could have some variation, that and imposters I think account for kush sometimes having indica or sativa traits. Actually it's really probably because of cross breeding with all kinds of other strains and still calling it kush. :blink: I needa sleep.

In reply to ElmerW.Fudd
    Square_d6421a6a7b85602ac3aa126f
    Rank6

Care Giver wrote:

This can be done in the lab, eg you could splice opium genes into cannabis and have the cannabis produce opium but this never occurs in nature.
    Are you sure about this? If so do you have the evidence to back it up? In reply to ElmerW.Fudd
    Square_e3cacc9bebb2640fb327e267
    Rank

hashish wrote:
    the true origin is the Kush mountains.

ftw In reply to ElmerW.Fudd