Map Filter:

Dual LED Tent feat. Green Crack, Woody OG & a Malawi Strain

posted by Mr Jay at about 1 year ago

Pages:
    Square_f861411aafaf36b93acf96cc
    Rank3

Hey everyone. They call me Jay.

You might of checked out my last topic here, titled: Round 3 - Green Crack & Woody Harrelson OG. This Thread will I guess be the sequel to that. It will feature the same 2 strains as before with an added bonus. While the green crack are pre-vegging for the next few weeks, I went ahead and started vegging my new and still untitled Malawi strain. It's an 11 week strain so I will be flowering it before the green crack. I will give out more details as we go along with the grow. As for right now, the post is just about showing you what I'll be growing with.

The big game changer in this grow is now I will be using LED lighting. This Grow will headline 2 Haight Solid State PPF-1600 LED grow lights. Each of which have the output of a 1600 watt light and only use 300 watts each. I have never used LED's before so we'll see how they stand up against my 1000 watt HPS light currently being used on another grow. If your interested in the specs. here is the link:

I just Topped them all. They should start to fill out pretty soon. They pre-vegged for about 3 weeks.

More to come, thanks for watchin'

Rank3

I'm gonna put some more pics up here right now. There isn't too much difference but I wanted to show some before pictures from the transplant I'm gonna do today.

Check out some of these Malawi:

Thanks for reading. Check back in a few days to see the after pics of today's transplant.

In reply to Mr Jay
    Square_9c64e71fa0967ca1ef76e4f9
    Rank1

looks awesome! stoked to see how it turns out with those LEDs!

In reply to Mr Jay
    Rank3

2/12/12 - Just finished the transplant, but since there isn't too much difference from the last set of photos, other then the pots, I will not post this right away. I'm going to just put up some quick pics and save this post as a draft and actually post it all later in the week. So here it is...

This is the shit I used:

More to come soon. Thanks for reading.

In reply to Mr Jay
    Rank3

I spent some time today getting the tent prepped up for the GC + WOG (green crack and woody og). I have about 3 or 4 more weeks till they actually go in the tent, but I needed to set shit up anyway.

Here, check it out...

In reply to Mr Jay
    Rank3

I wanted to give the plants fresh water today but I postponed the plain water for another week. It's a longer strain so I'm gonna stretch out what I would normally do for a quicker strain. However, I did keep it to a low ppm feeding with emphasis on strong and rapid growth. I was also seeing a bit of purple stem here and there so I wanted to give it a bit of nutes to hopefully cure that right up.

Once again, i primarily run the soul synthetics line up. Sadly this time around, their grow nute is lacking in some of the elements the plants were needing. So I used Botanicare's CNS-17 in equal parts with soul synthetics grow. CNS-17 has higher amounts of (Mn)+(Mo)+(Ca).

mL per gal
    soul synthetics
    Grow - 3.75
    Extreme Serene - 2
    Infinity - 2
    Oregonism XL - 3.75

Botanicare
    CNS-17 - 3.75
    Sillica Blast - 1

ppm - 745. pH - 6.50.

This is a simple low strength grow formula with a root hard-on! The Oregonism XL isn't something I normally use in my feedings, I'd rather use it during the transplant but I did not have it at the time. So I'm adding it in now. When the Green Crack get transplanted in a few weeks, I'll use OGXL(Oregonism XL) as a dry soluble and see which way has better results.

The pics in the post above this one were taken day before the feeding. I'll go ahead post up some after pics in a few days to see any change... if any.

In reply to Mr Jay
    Square_cannabis-cures-cancer
    Rank6

Out of that group picture the ones to the right looked stretched out,the left ones not so much.Is that all the growth you achieved in 3 weeks of vegg?With a 1000w mh they would be 3,4 or even 5 times as big with little stretch,all that stretching is not a good use of space <!-- s:? --><!-- s:? -->LED systems are no replacement for a metal halide in vegg and even worse in flower.High pressure sodium is NEEDED for a good flower and dense product in the flowering stage.Even T5 systems get better results in the vegg stage.Live and learn.

In reply to Mr Jay
    Rank3

med420 wrote:
    Out of that group picture the ones to the right looked stretched out,the left ones not so much.Is that all the growth you achieved in 3 weeks of vegg?With a 1000w mh they would be 3,4 or even 5 times as big with little stretch,all that stretching is not a good use of space <!-- s:? --><!-- s:? -->LED systems are no replacement for a metal halide in vegg and even worse in flower.High pressure sodium is NEEDED for a good flower and dense product in the flowering stage.Even T5 systems get better results in the vegg stage.Live and learn.

The stretched out ones are the Malawi. They are a incredibly lanky strain. Honestly, it's an all outdoor strain(I will put one outside this summer). I am growing a test one now that is nearly at the end of bloom. To the disbelief of myself and others, the buds actually take up a lot of space. Of coarse, My test Malawi is growing under a 1000 watt HPS so it's any ones guess of the outcome of this LED grow. As far as my vegging process, I'm testing the LED's ability to veg on these plants. The green crack that will be put in later are currently under my T5 and will be vegged under a 400-600 watt metal halide light as soon as the veg tent is cleared of the current grow in it. As far as their height, The woody OG's were topped once, the malawi twice. I wanted them small. It worked with the WOG's, not the malawi. Like I said before, those malawi belong outside, and I cant wait to put one under some real sun. If I didn't live in the city, I'd grow more outdoor plants. In reply to Mr Jay
    Rank6

2 weeks into flower it is going to get real top heavy,tie her down good <!-- s:mrgreen: --><!-- s:mrgreen: -->

In reply to Mr Jay
    Rank3

med420 wrote:
    2 weeks into flower it is going to get real top heavy,tie her down good <!-- s:mrgreen: --><!-- s:mrgreen: -->

I got some trellis netting waiting for the big buds. This LED light better freakin' deliver. It's gonna be tough to top the 1000 watt HPS light, I'm really skeptical of LED's but I did my homework, it should be great... as far as the numbers go. we'll see at the end of this grow.

thanks for reading, I'll do my best to keep my info as accurate as possible. I hope in the long run, people who consider LED lighting will look at my grow log here and have a fair and valid opinion of this grow style. This is new to me too and I hope that as many people learn from this as I do.

I will state to the best of my knowledge that using LED for vegging is NOT the best way to go. Don't get me wrong, I have good results with LED in the vegging process, but they could be better. My inner node spacing is far apart and adjusting from T5 lighting to LED puts a slight strain to the plants upper leafs. T5 and MH lighting as far as I'm concerned is the best way to go with veg. HPS for older and larger plants... good HPS bulbs will have a better spectrum for more mature plants. In reply to Mr Jay
    Rank6

Plants will actually stretch under HPS at 1000w during vegg,they need heavy blue spectrum that MH or even t5 pvovide

In reply to Mr Jay
    Rank3

med420 wrote:
    Plants will actually stretch under HPS at 1000w during vegg,they need heavy blue spectrum that MH or even t5 pvovide

off topic... is there something strange happening to the web site? Not that I'm complaining, but this thread just got 1900 views in the past 24 hours. So I'm just wondering if that is a mistake or did I just get mysteriously popular. In reply to Mr Jay
    Rank6

Mr Jay wrote:
    Quote: med420":2afp948f

Above 5000 heading to 6000.I dont know.All topics I commented on got the same.
    In reply to Mr Jay
    Rank3

oh well.... thanks for helping make this the most viewed thread in the grow log section! cheers!

In reply to Mr Jay
    Rank6

Mr Jay wrote:
    oh well.... thanks for helping make this the most viewed thread in the grow log section! cheers!

LOL!!I dont get it at all.I dont want to get popular,I dont want to get banned. In reply to Mr Jay
    Rank3

Welcome back, if your reading anyway. If your just skipping through, enjoy the pretty pictures. For all those keeping up, I'm showing the after pics of last feeding. It's been about 2 1/2 days. The Malawi continues to be a stretchy strain but the second topping I gave it is giving the lower branches time to catch up. As well as the Woody OG for that matter. It seems like the more I grow this strain the bushier it gets. This is about the 5th time I've grown it. 2nd try for the Malawi.

Personally, I think it's filling out nicely. I'm waiting for the WOG to get a bit taller till I flip the light cycle. The 4 green crack's and 2 woody harrelson og's that will be added to the tent in a few weeks are exceeding all expectations. Their sucking up water faster then I can give it. I'll get some pics of them just before transplant. I'm not taking photos of my pre-veg/veg set up... don't ask. I'll get into it some other time. As for now, here is the latest update photos of the Malawi and Woody OG currently vegging out.

Group Shot:

I'll get some more pics up in about a week or so. The next feeding for these plants will probably be plain fresh water so there wont be anything to post about. However, as I said before, the second wave of this tent, the GC's and 2 more WOG's, are bursting at the seams. So I'll start getting some pics of those too as well as the feeding regiments I give them. These 2 sets of plants may start flowering at different times, but they should all be harvested at the same time so it should make for a great finish. I will do my best to show all results good or bad to the best of my knowledge. Not for any promotional reasons. Simply for the info of these strains, under these lights, grown with these nutrients. Any advice is always welcomed. I hope any thread I start is for the betterment of all growers, myself and others.

thanks for reading.

In reply to Mr Jay
    Rank3

No long talk this time. Just wanted to show some action from the veg side of this grow. There are a few strains under this light:

Green Crack, Woody Harrelson OG, Powerband, Pearl Harbor, and Purple AK-47... Boosh!

They are really wanting some room to spread and better light, and they're gonna get it...

keep watching!

In reply to Mr Jay
    Rank3

Feeding day. Pre-Veg and Late Veg. The little ones got a good dose of the following:
    Soul Synthetics Grow, Trinity, Amino Aid, and Ancient Amber. With Botanicare's Sillica Blast and Superthrive.

No pic of them this time. Just look at my last post.
    =========================================================================================================================

As for my Malawi and woody og's, They are in late veg so I'll give giving them a slightly different mix. Not too different though, I just some new nutes and I want to try them out. In this case being the Trinity and Ancient Amber. Check out the mL per gallon chart below to see what I threw in this time around

Soul Synthetics
    Grow - 10
    Trinity - 5
    Ancient Amber - 5

Botanicare Liquid Karma - 5
    Advanced Nutrients B-52 - 2.5
    FoxFarms Open Sesame - 1.25

ppm about 1145 6.02 pH

Group Shots

========================================================================================================

The next step is to let them feast for about a week or so before giving them a good flushing. Then we throw these bitches into bloom. Also by then the second half of this grow should be put under a metal halide and transplanted into bigger pots for it's aggressive veg cycle. By the third or forth week of bloom for the MW + WOG's, the second wave will join it in the big tent under the LED lights just in time for 6-8 more weeks of blooming and harvest together... or at least that's the plan.

thanks for reading.

In reply to Mr Jay
    Rank3

I just flipped the lights from 24 hours to 12 hours. 8 to 8. Here are last of the veg pics for this batch. I will be posting more veg pics for the secondary batch joining this tent in a few weeks, but from here on in, it's all about bloom for this malawi strain and woody OG.I anticipate the woody og be done far sooner then the rest of the plants, the reason I planned it this way cause I've never been able to take the woody OG farther by extending the time. I've always had to chop it with the rest out of convenient timing. Now I get to let it ripen on it's own time and see how far I can take it without trying to time it with a quicker strain. Yes, regardless of how much longer I get it, it will be done a few weeks earlier then anything else. I enjoy the idea of early sample... anyway, here are the pics of it.

I'm gonna do a lolli-popping tomorrow and get some good clones. My last test for the malawi is to stick one outside for the summer. I wanna see what this african bush will do under the sun.

Just as a bonus for anyone actually reading, I'm gonna tell you something you might think is cool... I cross bread the Malawi strain with Powerplant. I just created my own strain. Keep watching for updates...

In reply to Mr Jay
    Rank3

Today the second wave of this grow goes full on veg. Here, check out my veg set up....

Thanks for reading.

In reply to Mr Jay
    Pages: