Map Filter:

Colorado first state to regulate mmj?

posted by tokermom at about 1 year ago

Square_a215ff40c27741956c72f4c8
    Rank6

Colorado grapples with effort to create the first state marijuana regulations
    By Kristen Wyatt
    Saturday, November 27, 2010

DENVER - What's in that joint, and how can you be sure it's safe?

Colorado is working toward becoming the first state to regulate production of medical marijuana. Regulators say that pot consumers deserve to know what they're smoking and that producers should have safety regulations such as pesticide limits for plants destined for human consumption.

Right now, patients have no way to verify pot-shop claims that certain products are organic, or how potent a strain might be.

"You don't go into a Walgreens with a headache and put on a blindfold and pick something off a shelf. But that's what some people are doing when they buy marijuana," said Buckie Minor of Full Spectrum Laboratories in Denver, which performs voluntary marijuana analysis for about 100 growers and dispensaries.
    ad_icon

Minor and others in the pot business say industry standards are needed. But Colorado officials are having a tough time writing regulations for a product that's never been scrutinized or safety-tested before.

New Mexico requires marijuana products to be labeled by strain and potency, and is planning by the end of the year to allow health inspectors to review samples. But currently none of the 14 states that allow medical marijuana regulate how it's grown.

"There's no experience with this," said Alan Shackelford, a Denver physician heading up Colorado's effort to write labeling and safety regulations for medical marijuana.

Colorado hopes to have in place by early next year some sort of labeling and inspection standard for marijuana sold commercially, under provisions of a new state law. But it's a daunting task. Physicians, pot shop owners and state regulators all say standards are needed but guidelines don't exist. Some of the considerations include:

l Should marijuana sellers be able to attach medical claims to their products? What if no research exists to back up a claim that a certain strain of pot is best for, say, pain or nausea?

l Should medical pot be labeled by potency? Patients using over-the-counter and prescription drugs can read the medicine's ingredients, but no analogy exists for pot's active ingredient, delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC.

"Given the lack of USDA or other oversight of this agricultural industry, we're at square one," Shackelford said when introducing proposed regulations recently.

According to regulators and physicians on the committee to establish regulations under the new law, the recommendations are likely to include basic labeling requirements, including potency. The regulations are also likely to call for pot growers to submit random samples for state testing and rules for labeling pot products "organic."

Shackelford says he'll borrow from federal tobacco regulations for limits on chemicals that can be used in material to be smoked or ingested.

- Associated Press

Square_944589f44e6d659dfb387eb3
    Rank6

Something I felt California could have used for a long time, some sort of business rating organization, accreditation type thing. Check location for staff qualifications, proper set up, proper medicines storage/distribution/labeling, and of course checking for thorough knowledge of the medicine they are selling for consumption.

In reply to tokermom
    Rank6

Christopher wrote:
    Something I felt California could have used for a long time, some sort of business rating organization, accreditation type thing. Check location for staff qualifications, proper set up, proper medicines storage/distribution/labeling, and of course checking for thorough knowledge of the medicine they are selling for consumption.

It would seem since we have the FDA that someone would have enforced some kind of regulations by now. Not sure how that would effect the price of meds but, some kind of co-op better business bureau sounds like a good idea to me. <!-- s:mrgreen: --><!-- s:mrgreen: --> In reply to tokermom
    Rank6

tokermom wrote:
    Quote: Christopher":23z1hzyo

Precisely, some health and code regulations would be in place one would think.. and maybe 'non-profit model' inspection would be included to make sure price gouging isn't happening <!-- s:roll: --><!-- s:roll: -->
    In reply to tokermom
    Rank6

Christopher wrote:
    Quote: tokermom":2rl6abr0
    Quote: Christopher":2rl6abr0

It would e a large scale operation, look how many co-ops that would need to be monitored. The cost would be enormous. <!-- s:( --><!-- s:( -->
    In reply to tokermom
    Rank6

I think it could be done on an entirely volunteer basis. If we can get enough people to get together, organize and develop a criteria of standards, and petition for official recognition by state/local government? Not sure how it works or if it is only a voluntary rating..

In reply to tokermom
    Rank6

Christopher wrote:
    I think it could be done on an entirely volunteer basis. If we can get enough people to get together, organize and develop a criteria of standards, and petition for official recognition by state/local government? Not sure how it works or if it is only a voluntary rating..

Your right Christopher- Pretty sure there would be enough people who are concerned enough to volunteer. I'm sure this issue will be something that will be addressed in California very soon, especially since Colorado is already considering it. In reply to tokermom
    Rank6

I hope so, and with Brown and Harris in office I think MMJ has an even greater chance of improvement.

In reply to tokermom